Friday, July 16, 2010

Crystal Lake road trip



So ever since I moved to Baldwin County, Alabama I have heard that it is a popular place for celebs and for movies.  It is the home of  authors Fannie Flagg and Winston Groom.  Brad Pitt has been sighted around Fairhope and Steven Seagal stayed here while filming Under Siege in Mobile.  No one mentioned horror films and I never asked.   Then one night a  coworker told me he had info that the sequel to the Friday the 13th reboot was going to be filmed in Daphne.  Daphne is just up the road from where I work and maybe 20 minutes from my house.  I have since heard the film has been cancelled due to reasons only the Hollywood intelligentsia know for sure.  Maybe the whole story about it being filmed here was bullshit, I don't know, but I decided to check up on it last week.  Quick web search for Friday the 13 sequel, Baldwin County and what did I find?  That parts of Friday the 13th VII:The New Blood was filmed locally.  I came up with three Baldwin County towns where the movie was filmed, Stockton, Bay Minette, and Point Clear.  I had never been to Bay Minette or Stockton since I moved here.  I had passed through Point Clear but nothing more.  With a little more searching I decided my best shot at actually finding a location was in Stockton, even though it was the farthest away, maybe 40 to an hour.  Armed with my GPS and camera I set out, without writing any descriptions down.  I found Stockton easily enough but could not find the lake where the final confrontation between Tina and Jason took place.  The problem was Stockton is full of lakes.  I talked to a few locals who were able to help a bit but not enough.  I finally gave up and started home taking mental notes along the way.  I have since located the right lake and plan on making a return trip, hopefully tomorrow.  After I get back I will upload my pics from both trips and provide details o how to find it yourself if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment